My Astronomy


Click here for main

Home Page

Latest History of Astronomy Weekly 

Latest ANS Weekly


My New Book May 2018My previous e-book



My Telescopes

My Main Telescope - C14 and Paramount ME

My new Paramount MyT and 8-inch Ritchey-Chretien Telescope

MyT Hand Controller

My Meade 12 inch SCT on a CGEM (Classic) Mount

My 4 inch Meade Refractor with Sky Watcher Guidescope and ZWO camera on a CGEM (Classic) Mount

Skywatcher Star Adventurer Mount with Canon 40D


My Solar setup using a DSLR and Mylar Filter on my ETX90

DSLR attached to ETX90. LiveView image of 2015 partial eclipse on Canon 40D

Astronomy Blog Index
About the Site

 I try to log my observing and related activities in a regular blog - sometimes there will be a delay but I usually catch up. An index of all my blogs is on the main menu at the top of the page with daily, weekly or monthly views. My Twitter feed is below. I am also interested in photograping wildlife when I can and there is a menu option above to look at some of my images. I try to keep the news feeds from relevant astronomical sources up to date and you will need to scroll down to find these.

The Celestron 14 is mounted on a Paramount ME that I have been using for about 10 years now - you can see that it is mounted on a tripod so is a portable set up. I still manage to transport it on my own and set it all up even though I have just turned 70! It will run for hours centering galaxies in the 12 minute field even when tripod mounted.


My Recent Tweets
« Leyland Observatory Primary Optics upgraded | Main | Dome Laptop fails »

Telescope Pointing

Unfortunately my telescope pointing had been lost so I have had to start again with TPoint to map stars so that corrections for the mechanical imperfections of the mount can be calculated and corrected for. I need to have the target in the centre of the image every time so that the image can be blinked with the library master. I have also changed to f/10 which gives me an image that is 11.43 minutes square requiring greater pointing accuracy  so I am trying to get the polar alignment to be more accurate so that it points at the refracted pole. I have had 3 runs at the mapping with 17 stars per run having applied the 6 fixed terms and 4 harmonic terms. TPoint is now indicating that the telescope is pointing 23 seconds of arc above the pole whereas I estimate by interpolation that I need this to be 44.76 arcseconds for my latitude.